Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Mother's Influence

I think it’s something that a mother prays for often. Maybe always. I’m not a mother so I’ll probably never know. I’m writing this not to confirm that my own mother’s prayers have been answered in this regard but to attest to all future mothers the tremendous power of a righteous mother’s example. Sons notice.

Sons notice the way a mother cares. Maybe not always. Maybe not during young, formative, nor adolescent years. But eventually we do. I’ve been extremely blessed by my mother’s caring influence. And whether she knows it or not I noticed. I noticed the time she went out of her way to cook me breakfast when I was running a little late. I noticed how she tidied my room when I needed a clean place to ponder. I noticed how she cleaned my car before a big date. I noticed.

Sons appreciate the way a mother talks. There is no one here on earth whose advice I value more. I’m not exactly a talkative person. Growing up, as I matured into teenhood, I talked less and less to my mother about the problems that I had in my life. How did she respond to this shutting-out? She patiently waited and persistently made herself available as a listener. If she was under-used in my teenage years, perhaps now she is over-used. I appreciate how she challenges my thinking – she doesn’t just validate me. I appreciate her constant reliance on gospel principles and church leaders. As we discuss hard issues, she immediately asks “Well, what does the prophet have to say about it?” I know where my mother’s priorities lie and it comforts me.

Sons need the way a mother loves. Everything I’ve talked about can be thrown in this last category. Perhaps I am using this category to avoid a never-ending blog about the virtues of motherhood. If one thing has determined who I am, it is my mothers love. It is the reason I’m writing this post. My mother has been out here in Utah the past few weeks for the birth of her first granddaughter. I’ve never once doubted my mother’s love, but receiving it day after day in person as opposed to over the phone has caused me to reflect and ponder and marvel about it. Conversations we’ve had about life have changed me. And I feel to rejoice at the relationship we have. She has loved me with all her heart and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Never underestimate the influence you will have on your future children. Coming from a son who was changed (and is changed) again and again due to his mother’s actions – you make a difference.

1 comment:

Mariah "Sniggs" said...

I hope I can be a mother like yours if the result is a son like you.